ADJECTIVE + PREPOSITION (Tính từ + giới từ)
18. ADJECTIVE + PREPOSITION
(Tính từ + giới từ)
18.1 Các tính từ trong tiếng Anh thường liên kết với một giới từ nào đó:
- The ancient pagoda was crowded with tourists.
- The audience was impressed by/with the artist's performance.
- He was found guilty of burglary.
- This house is similar to the one we have just visited.
- Children are often afraid of going out in the dark.
- Many foreign tourists are fond of the local seafood.
- Mary is fed up with doing the same things day after day.
- John's parents are pleased with his exam results.
- I am nervous of saying the wrong thing.
- What's wrong with borrowing a little money?
- The hotel is famous for its huge casino.
- I'm afraid I'll be rather short of money this month.
- Many young people were crazy about country music.
- We are proud of his achievements.
- He was surprised at what happened that night.
- My sister is always worrying about her weight.
- He is thrilled at/by the prospect of seeing her again.
- That kind of remark is typical of a man.
- My little son is brilliant at maths, you know.
- I am always bad at any kind of sport.
- It is said that English people are hopeless at learning foreign languages.
- Many people are often jealous of other people's success.
Nhiều động từ đi sau các giới từ trên đây có thể có chủ ngữ:
- She was aware of people staring at her new dress.
- We are surprised at Linda failling the exam.
18.2 Một số tính từ có thể liên kết với hai giới từ khác nhau tùy theo nghĩa:
- The passengers are angry about the delay. [angry about something]
Why are you angry with me? It's not my fault. [angry with someone]
- Everyone was anxious about terrorist attacks. [anxious about something]
Parents are usually anxious for their children. [anxious for someone]
The new graduates are anxious for work. [= wanting]
- The government is deeply concerned about the strike. [worried about]
My research is concerned with social trends. [= about, interested in]
- I've kept you waiting. Sorry about that. [Sorry about something]
I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. [Sorry for doing something]
- Regular exercise is good for everyone. [benefit everyone]
Thank you. You've been very good to me. [treat me well]
NHỮNG LỖI THƯỜNG PHẠM
• Dùng sai giới từ theo sau v́ bị ảnh hưởng bởi sự giao thoa ngôn ngữ:
*Her teaching mothod is similar with that of most other teachers.
[phải dùng similar to]
*He soon gets accustomed with the new schedule.
[phải dùng accustomed to]
• Dùng sai giới từ v́ không phân biệt được sự khác nhau của (cụm) danh từ theo sau:
*In order to get a job, you need to apply for a company.
[phải dùng apply to: to apply to sb for sth]